SUMMARY: High-performing, social media strategist and practitioner, author, trainer and international speaker. Proven experience in high-tech organizations as a business leader, technology manager and marketer including accomplishments in growing and sustaining premier telecommunications and network management companies and creating and delivering on social media strategy for HP.
Marketing and Social Media
- Created and executed successful social media strategy for $3Billon HP Software business. Integrated social media into the products, campaigns, lead generation and PR teams.
- Grew HP Software number of blogs by 500%, number of bloggers by 1250% and page views by 600%.
- Planned and executed blogger tech days; developed relationships with external bloggers by inviting them to be briefed on new or expanded offerings. Application agility event resulted in the top 10 entries in Google for unpaid search.
- Raised the share of conversation by 50% through development and execution of social media strategic coverage of customer events.
- Created successful, repeatable process for event promotion, ranging from video and audio commercials to posting schedules for Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and a number of bookmarking sites. One webinar promotion resulted in 100 additional registrations (leads) and a 2500+% ROI.
- Pioneered strategies for connecting social media programs to syndication opportunities. Collected 1500 leads in less than 6 months from SlideShare. Secured syndication of HP Business Service Management (BSM) content on an independent industry blog.
- Developed strategy and practices for the HP Software branded community.
- Analyzed social media performance to identify actionable results and repeatable best practices, such as increasing posts to top referring sites.
- Secured independent well known industry blogger to syndicate content on our blog platform.
- Tested advertising social assets to recommend better buying strategies to Search Engine Marketing team.
- Developed a manual of best practices for the use of multimedia to be leveraged across HP.
- Implemented a program to clean up and expand pages on Wikipedia, including six-part recorded training session. Wikipedia is now the number one referring site after search engines.
- Invited to speak at other Fortune 500 companies and conferences as B2B social media expert.
Product Management / Product Marketing / Technical Marketing
- Drove HP Software Business Service Management to use social media programs to connect directly with customers.
- Brought to market the most successful add-ons to HP product line generating over $2M in license with over $10M in related product sales.
- Responsible for all products from idea to retirement, including terminal servers, bridge/routers, hubs, Xyplex’ flagship product and three OEM products.
- Grew Product Management organization from three to seven staff controlling a budget of $1.4M.
Consulting and Consulting Management
- Consulted with Fortune 500 customers on social media strategy and use of social intelligence.
- Member of three-person team, largest consulting project to date in company’s Southwestern Region, on time and under budget.
- Responsible for consulting group covering installations, performance tuning and custom performance reporting solutions. Grew staff from 3 to 7, met budget and exceeded revenue goals
Training and Training Management
- Developed curriculum and presented over 20 social media educations sessions with products, campaigns and PR teams in HP, including weekly open training sessions with internal and external speakers.
- Developed and taught sales training for new and existing sales force covering market, product positioning and product features.
- Created a new hire sales training video.
- Grew training revenue from $0 to $300K revenue and technical staff from one to five.
- Created and delivered video training for third-party field service providers, saving thousands of dollars in travel and expenses for regional courses.
- Created, managed, and developed TechnicalMarketing and Training groups within Product Management. Established Technical Marketing as separate group in 1993.
2012 to present Michael Procopio Consulting Morro Bay, CA
2001 to 2012 Hewlett-Packard (acquired Trinagy) Morro Bay, CA
Social Media Strategist – HP Enterprise Services
Social Media Strategist – HP Software
Senior Product Manager – HP Software
Product Marketing Manager – HP Software
Program Manager in R&D – HP Software
1998 to 2001 Trinagy, Inc. Torrance, CA
A premier software company engaged in the design, distribution and support of historical performance monitoring and reporting. Hewlett Packard OpenView division acquired Trinagy in August 2001.
EDUCATION BSEE/CS, California State University, Long Beach
SPEAKING Corporate Social Media NY & SF, SocialTech’12, Global Social Media CRM, Content Marketing World, HP Software Universe, NetScout Users Forum, trade show booth presentations, seminars, OSS World, ISPinterconnect, ASPcon, and SMIconferences
PUBLICATIONS 42 Rules for B2B Social Media Marketing, Embracing Twitter. . . So It’ll Embrace You Back (2011), Getting Corporate Buy-in for Social Media (2009), From Talk to Action: Can You Measure Social Media? (2009), TheRole of the DBA Related to Insider Threats and Regulatory Compliance (January 2007), The Lure of Open Source Databases (July 2007), over 50 blog posts on HP.com, contributing blogger at Enterprise CIO Forum
SOCIETIES IEEE, Tau Beta Pi – National engineering honor society
AWARDS Various eAwards and stock grants at HP for high performance
President’s Award, Trinagy – presented by the President of the company for outstanding achievement